Define new warehouse lay-out and perform market study new location
King Nederland, a subsidiary of Bunzl plc, is a wholesaler mainly active in healthcare, cleaning, and government branches. Their specific medical supplies for healthcare, incl. a clean room, are grouped in the D-care operation in Houten. The other operations of King Nederland are located in Tiel and Den Helder.
Bunzl developed a new business model which implies a significant increase in the medical supplies operations currently ran in Houten. The facility in Houten is not able to cope with that growth. Bunzl therefore expects new business synergies by centralizing all their operations into one new DC.
Groenewout was asked to offer support in following decisions:
- Define new warehouse lay-out and processes
- Define optimum level of mechanization
- Perform market study to find a new location based on list of requirements
- Review order profile and develop goods flow chart
- Review current & future need for warehouse space (m²) and labor (FTEs) by evaluating warehouse processes and comparing possible lay-outs
- Quantification of various logistic scenarios (goods flows, FTEs, costs), to support the decision making
- Investment budget and operational costs for new warehouse operation
- A model to assist in building a business case towards higher management
- Overview of available locations showing main characteristics of each alternative.
50 years of experience
Consulting firm with over 50 years of experience.
Availability of a European logistics database with benchmark figures on transportation and warehouse costs.
Full scope expertise on network design, as well as warehouse design (conceptual layout, logistics - and storage equipment) and logistics building design (engineering and investment calculations).
Ability to support implementation of new logistics concepts (70% of Groenewout revenue is with existing customers in follow-up/implementation projects.
Extensive operational knowledge, hands-on, pragmatic and bottom-up approach.