We are always thinking one step aheadConsulting, Engineering & Optimization in Logistics Networks
How can we help you?
Warehouse design UK
Medline Industries, Inc., is a private American healthcare company based in Northfield, Illinois. It is the largest privately held manufacturer and distributor of medical supplies providing products, education, clinical programs and services across the continuum of care with offices in 20 different countries. In 2018, Medline reached over $10 billion in overall company sales.
In the USA and Australia Medline already manages all logistics operations of medical consumables for 3rd parties. This one-stop-shopping concept is a way to reduce costs for its customers. The plans were to expand this concept to the EU, starting in the UK. Therefore a logistics concept was to be designed for a UK DC, from where national distribution would take place.
Due to the high importance of success of the operation, Medline was looking for a second opinion to perform a ‘health check’ on this pre-design of the DC; AKA the “Draft Lay-out”.
- Quantification of dominant product flows;
- Review of the corresponding workload & order profiles;
- Assessment of the feasible alternatives for the new warehouse lay-out;
- High level evaluation of these lay-out alternatives;
- The concluding warehouse lay-out was described (high-level) on a footprint design, specification of the (storage) systems and description of the logistic processes (high level).