Warehouse design UK
Medline Industries, Inc., is a private American healthcare company based in Northfield, Illinois. It is the largest privately held manufacturer and distributor of medical supplies providing products, education, clinical programs and services across the continuum of care with offices in 20 different countries. In 2018, Medline reached over $10 billion in overall company sales.
In the USA and Australia Medline already manages all logistics operations of medical consumables for 3rd parties. This one-stop-shopping concept is a way to reduce costs for its customers. The plans were to expand this concept to the EU, starting in the UK. Therefore a logistics concept was to be designed for a UK DC, from where national distribution would take place.
Due to the high importance of success of the operation, Medline was looking for a second opinion to perform a ‘health check’ on this pre-design of the DC; AKA the “Draft Lay-out”.
- Quantification of dominant product flows;
- Review of the corresponding workload & order profiles;
- Assessment of the feasible alternatives for the new warehouse lay-out;
- High level evaluation of these lay-out alternatives;
- The concluding warehouse lay-out was described (high-level) on a footprint design, specification of the (storage) systems and description of the logistic processes (high level).
50 years of experience
Consulting firm with over 50 years of experience.
Availability of a European logistics database with benchmark figures on transportation and warehouse costs.
Full scope expertise on network design, as well as warehouse design (conceptual layout, logistics - and storage equipment) and logistics building design (engineering and investment calculations).
Ability to support implementation of new logistics concepts (70% of Groenewout revenue is with existing customers in follow-up/implementation projects.
Extensive operational knowledge, hands-on, pragmatic and bottom-up approach.