Smit & Zoon was founded in 1821 by Albert Smit, Captain of the ship “De Koornzaaijer”. Originally they traded in dried codfish, salted herring and medicinal cod liver-oil and went on to expand these activities by also trading in several kinds of marine oil, vegetable oil, animal oil and proteins. Today they are an ISO 9001 certified supplier of leather chemicals to over 70 countries worldwide.
Smit & Zoon are growing consistently and the company profile has changed from a traditional trading company to a combined trading / production company, operating two production sites (both located in the Netherlands).
However, logistics and planning are still based on the trading company set up, creating bottlenecks and inefficiencies in the current operation.
Groenewout supported Smit & Zoon in the defining & implementation of the new organizational setup and business processes. Main areas were:
- new supply chain department
- production planning concept and processes
- sales order intake processes e.g. Available-to-Promise
- functional design and sanity check on current IT support.
- Revitalized company awareness on customer service through a cross functional supply chain approach
- Organizational structure in line with today’s business environment
- More reliable confirmation of lead-times to customers
- Improved production planning resulting in less stock-outs and rush orders.